Saturday, November 19, 2011

Why can't I get images in windows live e-mail without clicking a banner?

I am running windows 7 and using windows live mail client. When I receive an e-mail from overstock as an example the images don't show up. There are red x's in the corners and there is a banner across the top saying images were blocked. If I click the banner I get the images. What setting am I missing?|||I don't using the live mail client, but I assume what you're seeing is the same effect as Microsoft Outlook enforces.





Things contained in e-mails can carry viruses. Simple images in e-mails aren't always contained directly in the e-mail but are dragged down from a server. Displaying the images reveals to the server that you are reading the e-mail together with other information.





For security, because of the above, e-mail clients should only display content from trusted sources.





If the live client is an application installed on your computer it should have a list of trusted sources and the same menu that you click on to reveal the images just once should also include an item to add the sender to the list of safe senders.





If the client is web based then it may not have anywhere to store the safe senders list, so unfortunately you may be stuck with saying the sender is safe and known to you everytime.

No comments:

Post a Comment